An Artist's Quest for "Soul" in a Chaotic World—by InnerSpirit

This is my InnerSpirit blog page...a page of reflection...inquiry...
and artistic questions about myself, my life, and the world around me. A place for my own personal contemplation of my emotions, my actions, my art, my spiritual journey and how they all intertwine and influence each other. I hope that you check it out, think a little about your life and the many creative things that you might be engaged in...how do those fit into your life and impact the various aspects of your own life? Let's reflect together!

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Freeing The Flowering Woman From The Scribble


With the Thanksgiving holiday coming up around the corner, I chose to use the days prior to the big day as a way to just have some fun and relax with my art. I created this fun scribble drawing for my Art Every Day Month Challenge Day #23. I was going to be leaving the following morning of the 24th to pick up my daughter for her college holiday break from DePaul University, in Chicago, and I knew that day would be a long and tiring one. The drive was about 3.5 hours one way and then we had to pack up her luggage for a five week holiday stay, and then we drove the 3.5 hours back to Grand Rapids, MI. It's not really too bad of a drive, I used to live in Chicago for 10 years and I don't mind traveling there, but it makes for a long day to go there and back. I planned that I would not be able to create art for Day #24 due to this traveling day.

Squiggling To Music
I chose to use my body a bit when I created the blue scribble that this picture was formed from. I have found with my clients and workshop participants that doing body movements prior to creating art pieces will often open up a nice creative flow for them and it worked for me this day too. I danced and frolicked around, probably looking a little silly that morning if anyone other than my dog and cat had been around, but they are used to my crazy antics so they just slept with one eye open just to make sure nothing got out of hand. I cranked the old iPod up to some favorite tune and went to work. I also like to close my eyes when I do the scribble so that I am not inclined to force an image or to prejudge what is going on with the strokes.

Color Choices Are Interesting To Contemplate
I also like to pay attention to the color that I choose to make my initial scribble with. I tell those that I do this technique with that they need to sit with the colors that are available and see what color calls out to them to be used that day. I usually get some odd looks from some of them, especially if they are not used to being so intuitive with their art materials. But they usually humor me in the end.

Blue was my color choice of the day. I usually have a sheet of various color meanings that my clients/workshop participants can look at when they are trying to see if the color they chose for their scribble has any inner meaning for them. Since color is very subjective, much like the art itself, I like to have a list of some of the more common associations that people have had with each color and then I tell the artist to read through the list and if something jumps out and "resonates" with them they might want to pay attention to that or they may just want to jot down their own thoughts that they might associate with their color choice. I treat this also as a very intuitive process. I usually reserve this color reflection until the rest of the drawing is completed, so I just tell them in the beginning to respond to the color that calls to them and then to create their scribble.

Some of the meanings of blue that resonated with me on this day were loyalty, security and rebirth. It was kind of interesting later when I reflected on this color choice, that I had chosen to add a flower to the hand of this woman. Rebirth and flowering into something new?

The Final Drawing Emerges
As I squinted at the scribble and looked for a hidden image, much like the watercolor technique I did a few posts back, I saw this woman quickly emerge and she instantly grabbed my attention. I loved her style and something about her attitude was very appealing and strong for me to draw that day. In the end I added the blue lines to the scribble to form a flower for her to hold. Maybe it was the size of her nose that suggested that additional element for me? I'm not sure, but either way, when I was done with the drawing and I reflected on it's presence, I felt that she was a strong messenger for me. She had a very distinct style about her and she was not afraid to show it, it was what made her unique and she seemed to love her life. Hmm...I thought to myself, maybe I need to let more of my style out and embrace my unique qualities and gifts. We all have something to bring to this world. We should not be afraid of who we really are.

Do you ever try and hide your uniqueness sometimes behind the ways that society tells you that you should act, look, behave, etc. Try and let the "inner you" shine more openly, and see if you feel brighter and lighter because of it. We can all benefit from the unique nuances of each and every person in this world of diversity that we live in.

Blessings,
D.

7 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the freeing lady - what a great emergence - love it all - thanks for sharing it~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love creating in this way too, Diane. It's so very freeing. And what a beautiful creation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. she is simply mah-ve-lous, dahling, mah-ve-lous i say!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I love working intuitively -- there are so many delightful surprises that emerge. There is such flow and movement in your scribble art. I love all of the warm and sunny colors - they are vibrant and warm. So many of us are afraid to be true to our Selves. Thank you for sharing your process and reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diane,
    I'm so glad you commented on my lipstick kitty on my blog, because it brought me to your blog, which I find very interesting. I will definitely be back to read your thoughts on creativity.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Squiggling prompts are sooooooooo much fun! Thanks you for sharing all these ideas with us!
    Miracles,
    k-

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What an outpouring of encouragement and well wishes from you guys! I did not expect so many comments so quickly. I am glad that so many of you like working this way, I never did until I started getting into art therapy and expressive art...and now I love it. I felt so restricted doing other kinds of art. It frees me up so that when I do some art that is more structured I can look back at a time of spontaneity and try and get looser.

    I see a lot of you saw the "spunky attitude" of my woman messenger also and found her presence intriguing.

    I have enjoyed all of your blogs throughout this whole month and I want to say that I could not have done it without your support and camaraderie! Thanks to everyone. I have learned a lot from all the blogs and the art that I have viewed so far.

    ReplyDelete